Not going to lie, I struggle with happiness just like everyone else. Let’s be real though. Living in the United States, most of us don’t have any REAL problems except the ones that we create for ourselves. Always exceptions to the rule, but if we compare our luxuries to communities that aren’t as “developed,” then that new iPod doesn’t really seem all that important.
Anyways, here’s a list of things that could make you happier each day:
1. Don’t compare yourself to others. This one is tough, but all of our journeys are different and we have NO idea what they are about.
2. Never obsess over things you can’t control. Another difficult one for sure. We can control OUR own thoughts and actions. That’s it.
3. Know and keep your personal limits and boundaries. Stay within your means and what is really important to you isn’t always important to others.
4. Don’t over commit yourself. I’m guilty of this all the time and regularly burn myself out. Good news that we get better with age and it’s okay to just say “no.”
5. Remember we all get 24 hours in a day. I’m sure most of us feel rushed and spread too thin. Truth is we all get 24 hours and what we do with it is our choice. So no excuses.
6. Don’t take yourself too seriously, because nobody else does. The ability to laugh at yourself not only makes you a happier person, but it makes you more powerful, influential and more attractive.
7. Daydream more. When you let your thoughts wander you’re more likely to have insights that will broaden your horizons and help you realize things you never considered before.
8. Don’t be a hater. Hate just eats away at your emotions, energy and health. Forgive, forget and always move on.
9. Make peace with your past. Focusing on past mistakes is like driving a car while looking in the review mirror. Learn from them and look forward.
10. Don’t try to win every argument. Some battles just aren’t worth fighting. Pick and choose them wisely. Winning isn’t everything, but mutual gains are.
11. You’re in charge of your own happiness. While some jobs and some people are difficult. If you’re consistently miserable, it’s YOUR fault and no one else’s. Find ways to make those difficult tasks fun.
12. Smile and laugh more. Smiling and laughter both create and reinforce happiness. NEVER stop doing either. Life is too short to not laugh until your stomach hurts and smiles are contagious.
13. Don’t waste energy on gossip. Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? Would I want someone saying the same thing about me? Nobody likes a drama queen.
14. Don’t worry about what others think about you. It’s really none of your business and you can’t read minds. Nor can you control them. So who cares?
15. Remember that how bad or good something is, it will change. Everything is constantly changing and nothing remains the same. Life goes on.
16. Trash everything that isn’t useful or beautiful. Do you have a lot of clutter at work or at home? Does it have a purpose or does it inspire you? If not, toss it! Clutter is stressful.
17. Believe the best is yet to come. Remember this no matter what. There is always something good waiting for you around the corner. Have faith.
18. Listen to Pharrell Williams song “Happy.” Impossible to not be in a good mood after hearing this talented dude.
Try a few of these a day and I guarantee you will be happier. The most important in my opinion is to smile and laugh. It is true medicine for the soul and life is too short. What other rules should be on the list?