There are many super-foods around, but here are ten of the best ones to incorporate into your diet.
1. Fermented Foods. Inside your intestines, or gut, live trillions of bacteria. They help fight infection, reduce cholesterol, manufacture B vitamins, detox, and more. You can populate your gut with more of the good bacteria by eating fermented foods. They increase good bacteria and stop any bad bacteria from doing damage. Examples include; Kombucha, non-dairy yogurt, pickles, sauerkraut, apple cider vinegar, etc.
2. Cacao contains more antioxidants than any plant food on earth. It contains serotonin, endorphins, phenylethylamine, tryptophan, and anandamide; all of which have been shown to ease depression and create feelings of well-being and happiness.
3. Goji Berries. Used traditionally in Chinese medicine, goji berries can make your body glow, because they allow your skin to absorb more oxygen. They also help strengthen your immune system, contain more iron than spinach and more beta-carotene than carrots and protein.
4. Chia seeds are my personal favorite, because they contain more calcium than milk, more fiber than whole grains, more iron than spinach, more omega-3’s than eggs and protein as well. Chia seeds also fight inflammation in the body, thereby reducing the chances of heart disease, Alzheimer’s and depression.
5. Spirulina. This nutrient-packed water algae gets its superpowers through photosynthesis and has all the protein, vitamins, minerals, digestive enzymes and chlorophyll your body needs for near-perfect nutrition. It’s terrific for building muscle, losing weight and fighting disease.
6. Hempseed. Hemp protein is high-quality and provides omega‑6 and omega‑3 fatty acids to reduce inflammation. The seeds are also full of vitamin E, which act as an antioxidant in the body, and magnesium, which is needed for muscle growth.
7. Maca is rich in calcium, magnesium, protein, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and iron. Add to that the vitamins B1, B2, and C, and you can easily understand what makes maca a super-food.
8. Golden Berries. As a traditional folk remedy, these little berries have been used to help with weight control, strengthen immune systems and good organ health. Golden berries contain anti-inflammatory “bioflavonoids” and are also an excellent source of vitamins A and C, which are great for the immune system as well.
9. Quinoa is gaining popularity and it contains vitamin B6, thiamin, niacin, potassium, riboflavin, copper, zinc, magnesium and folate. It also fights inflammation and disease. Quinoa also contains the amino acid, lysine, a nutrient not found in many other grains.
10. Sprouts. The amount of nutrition in these tiny fresh beans and stems can range between 300% and 1,200% more than their full-grown counterparts. Within a few days of germination, they develop a high nutritional value, becoming rich in protein and high in vitamins C, E, and B.
Implement these super-foods in your daily diet and you’ll give your body exactly what it needs. Compared to all that other junk out there filled with additives, these are a simple and inexpensive way to build your health and feel energetic all day long.
What other super-foods do you consume that I missed on this list?
And did you know that Shakeology has most, if not all, of these super-foods in it? Message me if you’re interested in taking your nutrition to the next level!